An important note for Malt Advocate magazine subscribers

September 6th, 2011

The fall issue of Malt Advocate will be released a couple weeks later than usual. This is intentional, and I promise it will be worth the wait. We spent the last several months re-designing the magazine, and we will relaunch it at a special event in about two weeks.

A magazine re-design is nothing new. During the 20 years of Malt Advocate, we have re-designed it several times. This one, however, is our biggest–and the one we are most proud of.

That’s all I am going to say for now. I just wanted to let our loyal subscribers know why they will be getting their issue a little later than usual.

When it is released, I will let you know right here. Stay tuned…

21 Responses to “An important note for Malt Advocate magazine subscribers”

1. bj reed says:

I are tuned :)

2. lawschooldrunk says:

No doubt, for a magazine as great as this one, the re-design is probably when you get to the “secret” page and tip the magazine over, out comes the 70 year old mortlach. Just make sure your glass is placed correctly.

I wouldn’t underestimate John and Amy!

• Scribe says:

LS Drunk, personally, I am looking forward to the monthly “scratch ‘n’ sniff” cards with the whisky-of-the-month scent! :) In all seriousness, I know the changes will be more substantive than that…just in time for WhiskyFest New York to boot!

3. Jewmalt says:

Looking forward to seeing the changes! Not sure how you can make it any better…

4. Design is OK, but please do not turn Malt Advocate into a shallow puff that looks like one of my teenage daughter’s magazines. Content is why I read Malt Advocate (and why I stopped reading Whisky Magazine).

Olivier, rest assured. As long as I am Editor and Publisher, content will always be my first priority.

• Lew Bryson says:

Hate to simply say “Me too, me too!”, but…

Me too, me too!

One of the things about the redesign that I’m very happy about is that we actually have MORE room for content, and we’ve used it. As I always say at editorial meetings, I’m a content guy, not a visual guy; other people make the magazine look good, my job is to make it read well. You’ll see some changes in that direction as well; positive changes.

• Red_Arremer says:

Right Olivier– That’s where my mind started going too. But John makes a good point, there.

5. Rick Duff says:

I’m just hoping it doesn’t supersize (height & width) like Wine Spectator and Cigar Aficionado.

Rick, I’m not sure why you see this as a negative. A larger format allows space to make the magazine more visually appealing without having to sacrifice editorial content. It’s a win-win situation. The main reason why we have not done it to date: cost. It’s also very expensive.

• Mary says:

I’m with Rick on the Supersize…..don’t care for it. I USED to subscribe to WS but got tired of the huge magazine – I like my magazines to be portable & I can do w/out all the pretty/fluffy pix. I would much rather have a thicker magazine than a big format. When it becomes so big, I tend to leave it at home, don’t travel w/it, don’t share it w/friends, don’t take it to bed, in the tub or even on the deck…just too bulky. I found myself ignoring the WS & only picking it up at the library. I still read it at the library & occasionally check it out but I’m no longer a subscriber. It’s still my fave wine mag but I don’t have to find a big/tall space on the shelf anymore. Big is not always better. Also, the added cost of the big format is not a positive in this economic time-I don’t feel like paying extra for the big size – it’s not worth it.

6. EMalt says:

Hi John,

I was hoping that you’d announce that it would be possible to renew online! But now i can get this off my chest as i didn’t know where to turn before.
    My subscription is ending very soon and i’d like to renew, but online instead of sending a ‘postcard’ from the Netherlands to an address in the US. I think it’s totally outdated. I’ve tried to send an e-mail to the Shenken address that is given somwhere on this site but everytime i tried it bounced because it was invalid or such thing. I got greatly annoyed and gave up.

I’d still like to renew, but it must be easy. Right now it seems easier to sign up than renew.

Kind Regards,
    EMalt

7. Danny Maguire says:

I’d like to see the changes, but when I checked the cost of an overseas subscription I decided it was just too expensive. John, how can I get it without breaking the bank?

8. Alex says:

John – have you guys thought about doing a digital edition? I’d love to be able to read MA on my iPad!

9. Gary says: