Compass Box Whisky, Dave Wondrich, and breakfast cocktails for 500 people

January 24th, 2012

So, I told you about the whole day-long seminar thing we have going on during WhiskyFest New York 2012 weekend this October already here. I said that it’s going to be very cool. Well, here’s one example.

I approached John Glaser of Compass Box Whisky if he would debut a whisky for us at WhiskyFest during the seminar program, and he agreed. A few days later he came to me with this idea:

For our New York WhiskyFest slot on Saturday at 9:15 am, I would like to unveil a special, limited release Great King Street blend, inspired by and made just for New York City.

To help me present it, Dave Wondrich (world renowned mixologist, cocktail historian and Whisky Advocate columnist) will join me. I’ll introduce the whisky and we’ll taste it with the attendees.  Then, Dave will present the new blend used to make a classic morning cocktail from the 1890s, Harry Johnson’s Morning Glory cocktail.  According to Dave, this is one of the earliest known Scotch-based cocktails.

This is why the 9:15 am Saturday slot is perfect for us!

John, since the beginning of the development of Great King Street, I’ve been thinking about creating Great King Street blends over time for different places, different cities or regions or countries (inspired by Scotch blenders of old, and a passage in Whisky by Aeneas MacDonald).  In particular, I’ve been thinking for a while now about creating a blend for New York City.

And as I believe you know, a key part of the mission behind Great King Street is to enlighten whisky enthusiasts to new ways to enjoy their favourite drink.  An historical and arguably intellectual approach to enjoying Scotch whisky in cocktails (in morning cocktails!) as part of the new WhiskyFest format is ideal!

And this is just the first 15 minutes of the program! Wait until you see what we’ve got lined up the rest of the day. Details to follow.

Cocktail for breakfast anyone? Here’s how you can join us.

No Responses to “Compass Box Whisky, Dave Wondrich, and breakfast cocktails for 500 people”

1. Andrew Colville says:

Morning cocktails! This sounds amazing, why have i never tried a Harry Johnson’s Morning Glory cocktail!

interested to see how john approaches the new york blend and will be interesting to compare the two.

You are a natural successor to P.T. Barnum, John. Way to build the excitement for the new seminar format!

Wish I could be there, but the seminar tickets are way out of my league.

4. Scott says:

I’m with Red on the price, was excited for day long seminars too but forced to chose between them and the grand tasting at those prices.
    Pretty cool idea to do different blends for different cities. Like what Absolut has been doing (New Orleans, Boston, L.A., Brookllyn, S.F., Miami) but way cooler since it’s whisk(e)y! I wonder if this project would lead John Glaser to think outside his own box of playing around with only scotch, to see what truly represents certain cities.
    This event alone makes me reconsider the seminars or the tasting, damn you!

5. Todd says:

Just a thought here… Maybe for the next release, he can come down to Charleston, SC and do a Great King Street blend on King Street! Like I said, just a thought.

6. There is of course precedent for this – we enjoyed a specially put together ‘Breakfast Whisky’ by none other than Mr Glaser at Maltstock in the Netherlands in 2010: http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/compass-box/compass-box-maltstock-breakfast-whisky/

While both cool events, I don’t think that either of these events (WhiskyFest or Maltstock) set a precedent for drinking whisky at breakfast, Ben. And John Glaser isn’t making a breakfast whisky, he’s creating a new whisky that will be available to the public. We’re just coincidentally having it for breakfast. In a cocktail.

7. I got that. Only teasing :)

In seriousness though, the idea of creating a blend with a sense of place relating to its consumption, almost an ‘inverse terroir’ concept, is genius.

Do you know if the GKS moniker will remain, or will the new blend(s) acquire names pertaining to their new homes?

Greatly look forward to seeing the results.