Whisky Advocate’s #10 whisky of the summer 2012 issue

May 15th, 2012

Beginning today, we’ll be announcing the ten highest-rated whiskies from the summer 2012 issue of Whisky Advocate’s Buying Guide. One whisky, every day, will be announced until we reach the #1 whisky of the summer issue. Please note all whiskies currently available in the U.S. have prices listed in dollars; any whisky priced in other currency is not presently available in the U.S. We begin today with the #10 whisky of the summer issue:

Glenfarclas “Family Cask” 1970 (Cask 140), 57.1%, £345

Another first fill sherry butt, giving its typical reddish-brown hue. This runs more into the clove, cassia, and allspice area than just dried fruit.  While maturity is obvious, and there’s even a hint of dunnage/leatheriness, it is the concentrated fruit sweetness that surprises here. The distillery has fought back against the cask, and while still crepuscular in nature, there is a rich, concentrated, and mellow glow at its heart.  — Dave Broom

Advanced Whisky Advocate magazine rating: 91

No Responses to “Whisky Advocate’s #10 whisky of the summer 2012 issue”

1. sku says:

I love crepuscular whiskies.

• Florin says:

I agree with you Sku, I love myself a good old crepuscular whisky — but I must confess, I often find the mellow glow a turnoff. I prefer the ones with more pronounced iridescence, at their heart or elsewhere. So I’ll have to hold on for #9.

• MrTH says:

I would castigate you fellows for making light of Mr Broom’s notes, but I’m laughing too hard.

Yeah, that’s the first time I ever saw that word used in a whisky description!

• sku says:

Hey, that’s why Broom makes the big bucks. As far as I’m concerned, anytime I have to consult a dictionary while reading a whisky review, that’s a reviewer that’s done his job!

• MrTH says:

It occurs to me that chillfiltering probably strips a whisky of most of its crepuscules.

2. kallaskander says:

Hi there,

yeah you can really see smell and taste how the distillery fights against her own casks both combatants clad in leather armour branding wooden shields and lances on the damp dunnage warehouse floor from the small hours of the night into the hours of the dawning of Eos as she rises in her iridescent glory over the Scottish hills and mountains.
    And that every day since 1970.

Greetings
    kallaskander

3. Jim Curr says:

I never met a “Farclas” that i didn’t like. I also have to admit that I am given to pouring one as we approach the crepuscular period of the day. Perhaps a few good friends around the old fire pit, and a Glenfarclas (in my case a significantly less expensive one), or a Lagavulin, or a……….. Thanks Dave, for making my day.
    Please note that “crepuscular” may be the word of the week in Engllish class next week.