Whisky Advocate’s #4 whisky of the summer issue

May 21st, 2012

Diamond Jubilee by John Walker & Sons, 42.5%, £100,000

Bright gold. Amazingly fresh fruits and quince, slowly evolving into mango, blueberry, and a jammy tayberry note. At the same time, exotic spices like cardamom begin to build, particularly when the surface is broken with a drop of water, while vanilla pod notes develop. In the mouth, the grain smooths all the elements, giving an unctuous feel. There’s just sufficient oakiness to give structure and any smoke is far in the distance.  A triumph of the blender’s art.
— Dave Broom

Advanced Whisky Advocate magazine rating: 93

No Responses to “Whisky Advocate’s #4 whisky of the summer issue”

Don’t everyone go out and buy this all at once! :)

• Red_Arremer says:

I thought about getting this, but eventually I decided to buy a house instead.

• McKinney says:

After consuming three bottles and handing out another six or seven as gifts, I thought I’d leave some for everybody else. Yeah, that’s it.

2. I saw a bottle of this just this past week at the Scotch Whisky Experience in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was on display there for a week, probably to drum up interest. The bottle is more stunning than this photo. However, I thought that the 3000+ bottle private collection in the adjacent room was more stunning. :)

3. Scribe says:

Any thoughts, Dave, on how this might fare mixed with ginger ale?!?!? :)

For a hundred grand, you’d hope it would rank higher than number four! Does that mean the top three cost even more? :^D

• Scribe says:

Sam, fortunately I have two kids — gives me more college funds from which to withdraw to stoke my habit!! :)

5. Jeff says:

I don’t doubt a word Mr. Broom writes, but, on the other hand, I have a hard time seeing the point of reviewing a bottle of whisky that should come with an armed guard – it’s a curiosity, but just too out of touch with the readership at large. If the point is to prove that JW can competently blend a bottle costing £100,000, I’ve always taken that as read. Once it becomes a trophy, it stops being whisky.

No malice intended – keep up the good work.

6. Tadas says:

I just wonder what will happen to all that scotch when people turn away from it since it is getting sooooooooooo expensive. Use as ethanol for cars? My guess it will be 1980s glut all over again :D We are in the scotch bubble.

7. Jeremy says:

I love your blog and read it often. I chuckle when I see posts like this. Not many can afford this! I really would like to see more emphasis put on the <50 dollar bottles.

8. MrTH says:

Should I chuck the empty in the recycling bin?