The versatility of whisky

July 18th, 2012

Okay, things have gotten a bit serious here of late, what with all the Van Winkle Bourbon source talk and the Bruichladdich sell-out discussions. So, to balance this with a less serious side of whisky, I offer this link to a video about how some people have utilized whisky over the many years. See if you can make it to the end of the video. It’s only a minute long. You can do it!

And yes, this exact same thing happened to me six years ago. Unfortunately, I had no whisky at the time.

No Responses to “The versatility of whisky”

1. MrTH says:

Thus “Drink like a fish”….

Tag line: Hooked on Maker’s Mark. :)

Good thing it was a barbless hook. otherwise that would not have worked so well and would have required even more Maker’s!

Sam, my hook was as big or bigger, and it had a huge barb. The only solution was to pull it all the way through my finger, cut the barb off, and then pull it back out the othe way. Problem was, my finger nail was in the way. So, we had to rotate the hook in my finger 90 degrees first, then pull the hook through, cut the barb off, and pull it back. I have the scar to prove it!

• sam k says:

Ouch. Your description hurts just reading it. Really hurts. This guy had it a lot better than you, and had that handle available, to boot. That’ll teach you to go to sea without whiskey!

• Alex says:

It works for barbed hooks too (at least small barbs). I saw the same trick done by an emergency room doctor once. It involves tying some line around the hook to direct the force in the right direction to unhook the barb as it comes out.

4. Andrew says:

Same bottle probably got him in that situation in the first place.

5. Tadas A. says:

That is one big bottle of Maker’s Mark ;) The guy with a hook in his hand looked white like paper…

• Andrew says:

Just your standard 1.75L bottle going for about $40. We do not get a chance to see if they wasted any disinfecting the wound.

6. Tianna L says:

Wow that hurt! Tho by the way he was chugging that Makers makes you wonder how much he had before they went fishing! lol

7. Maker’s Mark should be standard equipment on any fishing boat

Steffen

8. Luke says:

Ffffff… Owww John…

9. Bob Siddoway says:

I’m glad the hooks I use for trout fishing aren’t that large! Had one jump a few times and spit the hook the other day, and it shot backward and smacked me right in the face. Thank goodness it didn’t hook me because I had no whisky on the boat!!!

10. Sam S. says:

Again, a whiskey proves its medicinal use.

Yeah, I don’t know why I didn’t have a bottle of something on board with me. Like a friend emailed me this morning:

“To paraphrase W.C. Fields you should always carry some whiskey in case you get skewered with a fishing barb…and furthermore always carry a fishing barb.” :)

12. Lazer says:

My grandfather was an eye doctor. He told me he once had to remove a hook from somebody’s eye.

13. sku says:

This really made me cringe! Drinking straight from the bottle is no way to enjoy and experience the flavor and aromas that make whiskey drinking so complex and enjoyable. Even with a brand like Maker’s, he really should have been using a Glencairn glass and spent some time nosing it. I bet his tasting notes on this are useless.

14. Ouch! That look painful until I saw him downing the whisky. It’s like the chicken and egg question – which came first? The whisky or the hook? Did he get the hook because of too much whisky in the first place or did he get hooked and then turned to the whisky?