More new releases

July 20th, 2012

This is, once again, information from a U.S. perspective.

Bunnahabhain is smokin’!

International Beverage Company is importing Bunnahabhain Toiteach, the first owner-bottled heavily peated version of this whisky to be imported to the U.S. Over the past several years, I’ve tried some from the independent bottlers and was not very impressed, largely because they were so young and raw. This one is much better. It’s still youthful, but also enjoyable. I also like the fact that it’s bottled at 46% and not chill-filtered. (The NAS releases continue. And will continue to do so.)

New WhistlePig is the one (x3)

The brand owners will be introducing a new WhistlePig “Triple One” this fall: 11 years old, 111 proof, for $111. (I guess no one wants to wait for it to reach 111 years of age.). It’s only going to be on the market for 111 days and in 111 retail outlets, where they can only sell it for 111 minutes each day. (Okay, I made that last sentence up.) I’m told it’s from the same source as previous WhistlePig releases.

Gordon & MacPhail gets naked…

And stronger too! All future bottlings of the “Connoisseurs Choice” line will now be bottled at 46%, with no chill-filtering and no artificial coloring. Kudos to G&M for making this move. My only gripe with the CC line in the past was that so many were bottled at 40%, chill-filtered, and (I assume by the appearance of some of the whiskies over the years) caramel colored. (Update: See Michael Urquhart’s note about caramel coloring below in comment #6.)

…While Kilchoman gets sherried

A new limited release Kilchoman Sherry Cask is coming to the U.S. The Sherry Cask release is Kilchoman’s first fully matured sherry release and matured for a full five years. (That may not be a long time for most single malts, but it is for Kilchoman.)

This release is a limited bottling of 6,000 bottles, with 600 coming to the U.S. Like previous releases, it’s bottled at 46%. ($75)

No Responses to “More new releases”

1. Jim Clarke says:

Remy bringing Laddie in line with the rest of Islay?
    Good work from G+P on the CC range. I’ve always liked the offerings but been put off by the ABV, suspected chill-filtering and colouring. I’ll be much more inclined to pick bottles up from this range in future.

2. Joshie says:

Bunnahabhain not Bruichladdich, Jim.

• Jim Clarke says:

Bunny’s what I meant. But I had Laddie on the brain from another conversation. Apologies.

3. Louis says:

Any idea which Connoisseurs Choice expressions are coming over here?

4. Ben McNeil says:

O-kayyyy… New Whistlepig has 5.5% more ABV and a $41 price hike. Good grief.

• Scribe says:

Ben, I thought the same thing and agree 100%! I’ve found the existing WP as low as $59…and love it so have an extra bottle or two. Personally, I’d give the new one a try (e.g., find a bar that stocks it to try a glass)…but I’m quite happy with the current version and wouldn’t be inclined to pay another $50 for WP…but I’m sure many others will do so! :)

• Vince says:

Totally agree Ben. I love the original expression of Whistlepig and do not think I will be buying a bottle of this. (although to scribe’s point I would try a glass in a bar)

• Jordan says:

At that point you could buy three bottles of Jefferson’s Rye. I’m still not even sold on the regular Whistle Pig at its price point.

Great move by G&M. And I’m really looking forward to trying this Kilchoman

I was sent this note from Michael Urquhart, Joint Managing Director, G&M, and wanted to pass it on:

“Many thanks for advising your readers of the most recent development with the Connoisseurs Choice range, part of an ongoing development of the various ranges G&M bottle. However, can I correct you on one point, Connoisseurs Choice has never been coloured with caramel.

You are correct in saying we previously bottled mainly at 40% and we do a filtration at positive temperatures (opposed to a chill filtration below zero) but for the last three or so years we have changed slightly in the bottling strengths moved to either 43% or 46%. We have decided to move again to all future bottling’ being bottled at 46% and unchill filtered; I suppose we should have made it totally clear by adding “and continuing to having no caramel colouring’.”

Thanks Michael for the update. I didn’t know that. I corrected my original post to reflect this.

7. Bob Siddoway says:

That new WhistlePig screams gimmicky. Here’s to hoping it at least tastes good, unlike most gimmicky bottlings…

8. Way to go Gordon & MacPhail. Some recent Connoisseurs Choice bottlings at 46% were very good. Am thrilled to see the whole line go UCF! Congrats to Michael and the team for moving it in this direction.

Kilchoman Sherry Matured is very good, though and I am biased, I think our Kensington Wine Market sherry cask is better! It is 60% so maybe that’s an unfair advantage…

9. patrick says:

The move from G&M is very much appreciated! 43% improved the situation of the 40%, but with 46%, this is a step that was desired by many whiskyenthusiasts (including myself)

10. Tadas A. says:

Chill filtering process began because consumers did not like the fact that whiskey turned hazy or cloudy when water was added, much like pastis and absinth does. So going unchill filtered, bottlers and distillers have to keep alcohol level at 46% or higher for whiskey to be clear. That is one of the main reason of proof increase. Which is also good news to whiskey drinkers and enthusiast ;)

11. mongo says:

i see that michael urquhart says that the connoisseur’s choice range has never been coloured with caramel but not that g&m does not colour any of their whiskies. i’m trying and failing to remember if their other lines state “natural colour” on their labels.