17 bottles of bourbon; $4,000 for charity

November 1st, 2012

The Bonhams auction is over, and my donation of all 17 vintages of Evan Williams Single Barrel bottlings sold as one lot for $4,000. That’s far above the estimate of $800-$1,000. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I’m giving the entire proceeds to charity.

I want to tell you where the money is going. I cannot find the words to describe the damage that Hurricane Sandy has inflicted on all those who have homes at the Jersey Shore. I am among the victims, but at least for me it’s not my primary residence. There are, and will continue to be, people who have no place to live, no power, no water, no heat, and no food. I’m not sure exactly how I am going to distribute it yet (I want to avoid as much red tape as possible so it quickly gets into the hands of the people who need it), but that’s where the money is going.

No Responses to “17 bottles of bourbon; $4,000 for charity”

1. Scribe says:

John,

First, congratulations on quadrupling the estimated sale amount — well done on the lot, Sir!

Second, as someone in Staten Island, NY — not at all that far from the New Jersey Shore — I commend your choice of where to donate the proceeds. There is a lot of hurt in this area right now — lives lost, homes ruined or pushed out to sea, property and personal mementos gone forever. Personally, all I lost was TV and Internet service, so I am one of the lucky ones. But so many more need help, and I think it’s great you are directing the money as you are.

Be safe and be well…

2. OudErnest says:

Well done John. My daughter lives on the Jersey shore with her Mom and it’s been a horrific week. Cheers.

3. Justin Victor says:

A win win John. Some one gets a lot of great whiskies and some financial relief is on the way to people who really need it. Even as one far removed from the mayhem of the storm I commend your generosity.

4. Aaron Lloyd says:

Excellent, sir! As someone who was stuck in the city until today (I came out for Whisyfest! :) ), I was very lucky to be with friends who had power. Many others were not. Kudos to you for this!

5. Tadas A. says:

Grear choice John!

Is the $4000 number correct? Bonham’s lists $4760 as the total (https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20459/lot/369/). So the total priceeds are actually higher!

Maybe the numbers they post include commission, although they didn’t charge one for this lot. So I don’t know.

• Scribe says:

John, I would need to check back when you first announced you were selling the lot and donating the proceeds to charity. But I think I remember a Bonham’s rep posting that they, too, would be donating their commission to charity. That’s different than them not charging a commission — I thought I had read they were charging (so the buyer would pay) but donating their share to charity as well in keeping with your original spirit behind the sale.

6. Louis says:

John, when you look at the picture years down the road, you’ll get far more satisfaction than drinking the whiskey would have brought.

7. Jeff (the other, usually angry, one) says:

Well done and a great cause!

8. Great move, John…well done!

9. [...] going out tomorrow to someone who desparately needs it. It’s part of the money I raised from the Bonhams auction. I’m not waiting for the Bonhams check to come [...]

10. Stevely says:

Well done John. A very worthwhile cause.

11. Michael says:

John, please share your charity when you decide. I am in Long Island, NY with family in Staten Island and am watching the hurt all around me. All the affected areas will need help for a long time. I too am looking for a way to give with less red tape and more direct impact on people’s lives.

12. Ackie says:

really cool of you John.

13. Kelly says:

PPS: Check out http://www.jettylife.com. Jetty out of Little Egg Harbor, NJ is selling t-shirts to raise money for the immediate Jersey Shore communities in need after Sandy.