Your whisky predictions for 2013?December 26th, 2012
So, what do you think next year will bring to the world of whisky? I think we’re going to see a continuation of what we experienced in 2012 in many ways:
- Whisky prices will continue to rise.
- NAS (no age statement) whiskies will continue to proliferate as whisky companies deal with supply issues.
- We’ll continue to see an increase in craft distillers making whisky in the U.S.
- The proliferation of new whisky distillers outside of traditional whisky producing countries (Scotland, Ireland, Canada, United States, Japan) will continue.
- Experimentation throughout the whisky world will continue, as companies try to come up with the next cool thing.
- Whisky companies will continue to try and find new ways to get their whisky into a broader (and younger) audience with flavored whiskies, whisky cocktails, etc.
- Distillers will continue to expand by increasing production at an existing distillery or building a new distillery.
- Entrepreneurs trying to make a buck from the demand in whisky will try to come up with (and market) the next “whisky stones.”
- And on a personal level, people who don’t drink whisky will (unfortunately) continue emailing me, asking me how much that old bottle of [insert whiskey name here] they inherited from their recently decease family member is worth. And I will continue to tell them that I have no idea. And…
- We’ll try even harder to publish the best whisky magazine in the world.
There’s ten that came to mind after thinking about it for just a few minutes. How about you? What do you think will happen next year? (Serious or humorous predictions are welcome. Just keep the focus on the whisky. Don’t pick on people.)
Did you receive this copy of the Whisky Advocate Blog from a friend? Sign up today and we'll send the next edition directly to you.
Are you a Whisky Advocate? Become a subscriber to the magazine that loves whisky as much as you do. Take advantage of this special offer. A Free issue and a Free gift!