Your whisky predictions for 2013?

December 26th, 2012

So, what do you think next year will bring to the world of whisky? I think we’re going to see a continuation of what we experienced in 2012 in many ways:

1. Whisky prices will continue to rise.
  2. NAS (no age statement) whiskies will continue to proliferate as whisky companies deal with supply issues.
  3. We’ll continue to see an increase in craft distillers making whisky in the U.S.
  4. The proliferation of new whisky distillers outside of traditional whisky producing countries (Scotland, Ireland, Canada, United States, Japan) will continue.
  5. Experimentation throughout the whisky world will continue, as companies try to come up with the next cool thing.
  6. Whisky companies will continue to try and find new ways to get their whisky into a broader (and younger) audience with flavored whiskies, whisky cocktails,  etc.
  7. Distillers will continue to expand by increasing production at an existing distillery or building a new distillery.
  8. Entrepreneurs trying to make a buck from the demand in whisky will try to come up with (and market) the next “whisky stones.”
  9. And on a personal level, people who don’t drink whisky will (unfortunately) continue emailing me, asking me how much that old bottle of [insert whiskey name here] they inherited from their recently decease family member is worth. And I will continue to tell them that I have no idea. And…
  10. We’ll try even harder to publish the best whisky magazine in the world.

There’s ten that came to mind after thinking about it for just a few minutes. How about you? What do you think will happen next year? (Serious or humorous predictions are welcome. Just keep the focus on the whisky. Don’t pick on people.)

126 Responses to “Your whisky predictions for 2013?”

1. Michael says:

I predict I will continue to annoy my wife by purchasing far more bottles than i actually need

2. Brian Bradley says:

Odds are I will continue to drink Ardbeg. I have seen a few bottles this year that felt rushed and did not live up to their respective product line. I hope the quest for money combined with short supplies does not lead down the path to inferior products.

3. Toby Cline says:

My prediction is that I will try to drink some of the best whiskeys in the world.

4. A shortage of older whisky partly due to over-selling, partly due to new markets opening up.
    A collapse of the white whisky/moonshine market.
    The rise of bespoke blending.
    A revolt against over-priced independent distillers.
    A retraction of the number of brands available but an increase of line-extensons.

• sam k says:

I don’t foresee any letup in white whiskey until well after the proliferation of start-up craft distillers slows down, and I think that’s a good thing!

• Chap says:

I can’t tell if the market shakeout in U.S. small distillers is going to happen in 2013 or the next two years, but it definitely is beginning to feel like the craft beer market was in the late nineties. The weaker ones are going to fall out at some point. Buy your obscure struggling whiskey now, and make bets on which bourbon company with an LDI contract and a marketing campaign will go bankrupt next!

5. Lazer says:

among the new flavored whiskeys of 2013….. chocolate.

6. JohnL says:

John, I agree with your predictions. However on December 30, 2013, when we look back-the story that will stand out will be the popularity of Rye Whiskey. There will stories about the shortages of Rye, new Ryes coming out, the new bolder Rye tastes, and new cocktails with Rye.

• sam k says:

JohnL, I’ll take all of this that I can get. i was among the last of the old-line rye drinkers, dating back to the 70s when rye seemed certain to be on its way to extinction. Any expansion of the category is extremely encouraging.

I’m glad you all finally came to your senses!

7. David Rogers says:

I can see an increase in the number of expressions labeled as rare, despite the quality generally attributed to the use of that word (in the whisky world).

8. Nate says:

More takeovers of independent distilleries by massive conglomerates.
    Distilleries with no history of “special releases” are going to start offering “small batch” selections.
    More japanese whiskies available in the US (certainly nikka, rumors of a karuizawa).
    Auctions are really going to explode.
    No one will release a Port Ellen for less than $500 per bottle.

• mongo says:

i don’t know. k&l seem to be having trouble selling out their cask at $599.

my predictions:

1. even more whiskies with gaelic names leading to massive confusion when customers call retailers to ask if they have them.

2. the 9 yo kilkerran released next year will be better than most distilleries’ 12 and 15 yo whiskies and will lead to a massive grassroots campaign for a non-limited 10yo release.

3. while the pappy/btac allocation backlash will be firmly in effect among bourbon geeks their numbers will be more than replaced by new drinkers rushing to the hype and said hype will thus show no signs of abating.

4. there will be an older clynelish in next year’s special releases from diageo.

5. amrut will release a whisky matured on three continents.

• David D says:

We’ve sold more than 100 bottles of $600 whisky that no one has tasted but us in less than a two months. No real worry here. Plus, it’s delicious, so that speaks for itself. I don’t anything is slowing down yet.

• mongo says:

good luck to you, david. i do wonder how many of those people who bought those bottles are aware how much sub-$500 (and well-reviewed) ob and indie port ellen is still floating around in the u.s., or that stores in california were selling the 12th release for not very much more than your cask.

but please keep the single casks priced for us lower-rent folk coming as well.

• David D says:

You and me both! :)

• Nate says:

What’s the best price you’ve seen on the 12th release?
            I’ve seen it at $750 but that’s the best I’ve been able to track down.

• David D says:

I got one bottle that I sold to a good customer for $550. That’s all I saw. Others may be marking it up more because they only got one as well.

• mongo says:

$599 at vine and table. less than that at schneider’s in d.c and at a place in brooklyn. a place in san francisco had it just north of $500 as well (blanking on the name, maybe cask or the jug shop; it was a few weeks ago). i think binny’s has it now for $599 (though not listed). other places too. if you go by what k&l is saying on their product page for their cask though, the 12th release was apparently retailing for >$1000 from the get-go. not even true in california.

i’m sure k&l’s cask is good, but i’d be hard pressed to pay the same (let alone more) for that over the 12th release (or 9th and 8th and 7th which are all still available for <$500).

• David D says:

Thanks for pointing that out. We wrote that note when Diageo told us they were planning on have the 12th release retail for $1000. They then changed their tune and it came priced as usual, but we forgot to change our note when it arrived. I’ve deleted that now because you’re totally right. In contrast to Mongo, who has not tasted our cask, I (who have tasted it and every other official release for the past few years) would much rather have our version that any of the previous releases. Of course, I would say that, wouldn’t I?

• mongo says:

yes, and you may well be right. it is just that for those of us for whom $600 for one bottle of whisky is not a everyday proposition it is nice to have more points of reference than just those of the seller. if you want to set up a blind tasting for me of your cask alongside the last 5 or 6 official releases i’ll be right over. please note that i’ll need to taste at least 750 ml of each to be sure.

• Bob says:

[re #5]: Make that four continents if they throw Antarctica in. Worked for The Shackelton, didn’t it?

• Keith Sexton says:

Mongo, I think you’re correct with the Kilkerran. What a stellar dram!

9. Greg Melia says:

1) The Internet and innovative entrepreneurs will introduce a broader range of whiskies to the buying public through target marketing and sales of samples.
    2) Through strategic management and new guidelines, The Scotch Whisky Association continues to proliferate rules to protect the “Scotch” brand. However, the rules create a new respect for both world whiskies from other regions and hybrid whiskies that blend across different regions.
    3) after distillery specialists like Compass Box and Master of Malt create new boutique blends that give customers new experiences.

10. Jeff S. says:

We will see the whiskey world get shaken up. I expect that the over priced market will find its peak and start to come down. To much product on the shelf and compition is going to burst the whisky bubble.

That’s coming eventually. I just can’t say when. The pendulum always seems to swing more than it should before correcting itself.

• David Bailey Jr. says:

I truly hope so Jeff. Despite the extreme love of whisky, some of these prices for what you’re experiencing are absolutely ridiculous. Cap please!

• alligatorchar says:

Speculative bubbles can build for a rather long time before popping. An interesting aspect of whisky that is unlike baseball cards (no real utility) or houses (utilty as a residence) is that you can readily consume it. If the majority of people that are buying $75-250 bottles of whisky (and more specifically bourbon) are actually consuming it, then its quite possible the demand will remain high for some time until tastes changes. I’ve shared my enthusiasm for mature bourbon with many people and to some extent that expands the market. Many had no knowledge of bourbon beyond JB white label and pouring them fine bourbon was often a relevation. Some of them strike me as long term consumers and buyers for the “good stuff” as it were. I wouldn’t bet on the market for sub-$250 price point whisky crashing any time soon. The market for $1000+ may well be a different story as I doubt $25,000 bottles of whisky are usually consumed after an auction. The value of these “collections” may well crash but even these values may persist in rising for much longer that seems reasonable.

• Chris Cannella says:

Totally agree. If ‘The Atlantic’, ‘USA Today’, ‘Hemispheres’, and other magazines are raving about the collectability of whisky instead of the tastes of whisky, the wrong message is out there. I just hope the correction is a correction and not an overcorrection. I’d hate to lose some of the my favorites.

11. David Bailey Jr. says:

I see more whisky brands, specifically scotch aligning themselves with those within the cocktail realm. All work with spirits in some form or fashion, but the crowds/industry are verrrry different.

12. Lazer says:

Diageo will buy Beam in 2013.

Will release age stated, non-chill filtered, single barrel, barrel proof Maker’s Mark…. Yeah right.

13. lawschooldrunk says:

I predict that in 2013, whisky will still smell like Christmas cake.

14. Kevin says:

Diageo will seed rumors that they will reinstate Stitzel-Weller , a d rather than buying Beam will purchase Old Fitz from HH.

15. Justin says:

Four roses will become allocated.

• Lazer says:

nope… Its true that sales in U.S. are up big-time for FR, but…. they are down big-time in Europe because of the financial problems of southern Europe (Greece, Italy, Spain…). FR’s biggest market was (and maybe still is) Europe. They’re just making a shift into the U. S. but aren’t going to be low on supply, its just a see-saw.

16. Justin says:

And Compass Box, despite numerous ‘expert’ accolades, remains on shelfs at ridiculously low prices. I’m not complaining about that one…

17. Mr Manhattan says:

American distiller’s will continue to wring hands and complain there’s not enough rye to go around (“We were all caught off guard!”) while production increases but supply is constrained to keep prices high.

Dozens of new “craft distilleries” will open, each with a similar business plan involving the selling 1 to 2 year old whiskey aged in small cooperage and sold at obscene prices OR based on purchasing whiskey from an undisclosed source (cough—-in Indiana—cough) and selling it as their own.

18. politicalidiot says:

NAS means I keep my money. No worry for me, I’ve got plenty of excllent stock I’ve collected over the last 30 years. Whisky purchases will be very rare for me in the coming year.

• alligatorchar says:

Yep. It’s gotta be pretty special to warrant a purchase at this point.

That makes three of us.

• Darin W says:

Hi John. I am relatively new to whisky so just want to ensure I follow the thread started by politicalidiot. Does the expansion of NAS releases mean you are not going to make any new purchases of just them or even the aged statement product out there? It seems like there are still a lot of great aged statement whiskies out there.

I suppose I should clarify. There are a few reasons why I cut back on my whiskey purchasing. Like others here, I’ve been buying and drinking whiskey for decades and have small stash of good whiskeys to tide me over for a while. Also, keep in mind that I this is my job, so I get a lot of review samples that keeps me busy. Lastly, yes, prices have gone up quite a bit.

Having said all of this, it doesn’t mean that there aren’t great whiskeys out there to buy and enjoy. If you look back a few posts, you will find plenty to choose from. Cheers!

• Darin W says:

Thanks John, that makes a lot of sense. Your insights are much appreciated!

• Jeff says:

So, it seems that there ARE a number of people with stashes of “the good stuff” preparing to wait out the current glut of NAS products. And, despite the often positive reviews and a few notable product exceptions, that should tell everyone all that they need to know about NAS.

The industry will be very disappointed to find out that NAS now stands for Not A Seller.

• Danny Maguire says:

The N.A.S. Ardmore peated is quite a decent dram.

19. Jim Walters says:

I wonder if anyone noticed if the results of predictions #3, 4, 5 and 7 at least partially contradict predictions #1 and #2.

20. tmckenzie says:

I think this coming year will see some of the smarter micros releasing more longer aged whiskey, aged in traditional size barrels.

• Lazer says:

hmm…. last year was the two year old whiskey so this year will be…. I’m guessing 3, but what do I know?

• tmckenzie says:

lots of people have been putting up whiskey since they started.

• Lazer says:

right, but my point is if the best a distillery can do in 2012 is a 2yr then how can we expect to start seeing 7yr olds in 2013.

• Mr Manhattan says:

There seem to be plenty of business plans based on selling only very young whiskies with nothing held back to age further.

I think this would be a really interesting investigation for a publication like WA to tackle. There’s already a plethora of new whiskey labels on the market with more coming. How many of these have plans for aging whiskey longer than 2 years? How many have plans to actually age and sell whiskey they make rather than just selling someone else’s whiskey?

I think this is a very relevant topic as it’s these efforts now which are going to determine whether we wind up with a 21st century version of “Pappy” or if we continue to fetishize only whiskeys of an age past.

Michael

21. Vince says:

More young rye will hit the market (probably coming from LDI under different brands) and it will be overpriced. Also, more rectifiers in the bourbon space will market inferior whiskey at high prices (see Lexington Bourbon, etc)

22. MrTH says:

Variation on #6: Marketeers will continue to try to make whisky something it isn’t in an effort to reach consumers who don’t really like it, while ignoring tweedy old grumps like me who actually do.

23. MrTH says:

The trendies will eventually forget whisky ever existed, all the micros and independents will die, and Diageo will close everything but Roseisle. There will be a new wave of Clearances as half of Scotland emigrates to China looking for work.

24. John W says:

1) Ardbeg will launch a “regular” 15yo at 46ABV and modest RRP of GBP79.99

2) Anheuser-Busch InBev, not content to known as the biggest beer company on earth, buys BenRiach Distillery Company Ltd for an undisclosed sum.

3) One of whisky’s best-known personalities gets fired from Whyte & Mackay (by their new owner Diageo) for the poor initial sales figures of the Dalmore Constellation series. At least that is the official version.

• Henry says:

Sadly, I read your predicted Ardbeg 15 yo price as 79.99 *US.* Now that would be worth springing for.

25. Tom D says:

The fiscal cliff causes a year long decrease in household spending which starts the long slow process of driving prices back down to a more reasonable, but still inflated level.

Or the exact opposite happens. People can’t afford to go out so they purchase more whiskey for consumption in the home driving prices for mediocre products even higher.

Now I’m confused. Time for a dram!

26. David G. says:

All of my predictions seem to be obvious (to me):

1) I will continue to balance drinking old favorites with trying new whiskeys
    2) I will continue to enjoy drinking with my friends and family (drinking with family, or BECAUSE of family?…. hm.)
    3) I will continue to make recommendations to friends when they ask “what should I buy?” or “where should I buy?”
    4) I will continue to find places to hide bottles in the house from my wife.
    5) I will continue to procrastinate planning that trip to Scotland.
    6) I will continue to read Whiskey Advocate and attend WhiskeyFest to support all of the above.

27. mark davis says:

I predict we will see some new rye options

28. Jeff says:

NAS (no age statement) whiskies will continue to proliferate as whisky companies deal with supply issues, aided and abetted by those who refuse to denounce the majority of these products as simply being inferior to the age statement expressions that they replace. Nor is this trend all about an inability to meet demand; it’s at least as much about maximizing profit margins through the use of marketing and dodgy “logic” – Macallan’s position about the importance of colour still boggles the mind – and tolerance of the idea that “age is overrated” (except where it’s a price point), also a major failing on the part of those who should know, and say, better.

• alligatorchar says:

Age is rather important in young products but much less so (if at all in some cases) in mature products. I would love to conduct a blind tastings of labels 15 years or greater with many self-proclaimed connoisseurs and see the results. They wouldn’t be pretty. Okay Mr. Soandso, is that Macallan 25 or Glenfarclas 17?

• Jeff says:

True enough, but the essence of your statement (and it is an excellent point) is that age (and differences in it) is not as important where it is already significantly present, and I would agree with that (tell an 18 from a 21 from a 25? Tricky, depending on many factors, and with no guarantee that the oldest would be the best). But, as you can tell, what I’m taking exception to is the recent idea in the industry that aging is overrated as a factor contributing to quality, an idea that forms the cornerstone in the marketing of NAS products but not, curiously enough, in the pricing of age statement expressions. The contradiction is obvious, but this pseudo logic, and the generally inferior whisky that results from it, is seen as “good enough” for those who don’t know any better, and also for, but most importantly by, those who do know better, but who don’t intend to drink the stuff in large quantities in any case.

Your point about blind tastings is also well taken. Many, myself included, do write and talk about what is always a subjective experience with a surety and mathematical precision that would make wisely cautious physicists cringe. Blind tastings are a great way to get back to planet Earth.

• alligatorchar says:

I think the marketing departments would like to drink their whisky and have it too. It is disingenuous for a producer to say aging is overrated in younger products and then insist on aging being a relevant benefit in older products. The opposite is far more accurate on average. If we are discussing bourbon or rye, it’s entirely possible to over mature and ruin what might otherwise have been an excellent expression.

• alligatorchar says:

I love the blind tasting experience. They are now at the cornerstone of my whisky drinking experience. I wish I had done them extensively prior to establishing any brand preferences. I strongly encourage anyone who is serious about whisky to conduct them. Owning a decanter or two is very helpful to this end.

• Jeff says:

“It is disingenuous for a producer to say aging is overrated in younger products and then insist on aging being a relevant benefit in older products. The opposite is far more accurate on average.” – thanks, I think that is the best I have ever seen that point made.

Your point about over-aging is equally excellent and well taken; different spirits do have different benefit curves and “sweet spots” with regard to aging. If someone ever comes out with a “Century Edition”, complete with limited-edition crystal decanter and $100,000-plus price tag, will its value be found only in its collectability as a doorstop/whisky trophy? Would whisky matured for 100 years still be drinkable, let alone as good as one far younger or cheaper?

• Danny Maguire says:

Theoretically, at least, it would still mature but you would be probably just as well putting a stave in your glass.

29. Robert says:

Ardbeg will experiment with whisky aging in Budweiser and Coors casks, as they will be wanting to pull in the last of the drinkers with no taste in anything alcoholic. The Galileo shows they have no limits to what they will try and sell.

• David Rogers says:

All the hate on Galileo kinda’ makes me want to try to see how bad it actually is. I like several Arbegs, too.

• mongo says:

you’ll be disappointed to find that the galileo is merely a pretty good whisky.

• Robert says:

I agree with Mongo. Ardbeg usually is wonderful, but this is just weird. You get 1.2 seconds of decent Ardbeg, and then a blast of some totally off-the-wall dry wine taste. It improves with time (months), but don’t spend your money on it, unless you are just curious. I can get Corry or Oogie for less cost and they truly are great.

• mongo says:

well, i was actually saying it’s a pretty good whisky. not the best recent ardbeg by a long shot but hardly deserving of all the invective some have aimed at it. and it’s not very much weirder, in my opinion, in concept or in the glass, than lots of similar experiments that people don’t get so upset about (see the wood experiments from the good folks at the springbank distillery, for instance). what we have here is, in my opinion, the beginning of a real ardbeg backlash (for the endless hype, the high prices, the silliness–all good targets) colouring the response to a whisky that would not be found to be so offensive with a different name on the label and a slightly lower price-tag.

i agree, though, that this is far from an essential purchase for any but the ardbeg completists, and that corryvreckan and the uigeadail are way better for similar or lower prices.

• David Rogers says:

I would some Uigeadail right now. Alas, it is dry times…

• OudErnest says:

Well said Mongo

• Danny Maguire says:

Half the problem with Ardbeg is who it’s owned by, L.V.M.H.sell very expensive products.

• Jeff says:

I think that mongo’s right about the beginning of a backlash against Ardbeg’s hype, pricing and silliness. Unfortunately for the distillery, in Galileo, it may have created the perfect object for those sentiments to rally around. I mean if there was any real value to doing zero-g whisky experiments on the ISS, was there ANY chance they would be done for their own sake, without their use as a marketing springboard? Ardbeg isn’t alone by any means, but they do bring this stuff on themselves. Pretty good is usually good enough, but maybe not when we’re talking about whisky that’s supposedly “out of this world” and priced to match.

Happy New Year, everyone!

30. 1. Small “distillers” that rely not on self-distilled product but rather contract aged whiskies from LDI will start to go under. LDI is running out of stock and the quality of the stuff being released will drop as younger whiskey is bought.

2. The rye boom will hit its peak. With all of the larger scale adapters jumping in (Knob Creek, Jack Daniels), smaller companies that offer only adequate ryes will fade. They have the money to keep hammering out a product that people will like; smaller companies don’t. This also ties in with #1.

3. Barrel shortage will begin, I think. The whisk(e)y community is seeing a huge surge in sales and I don’t think there’s enough wood to back it up. A guess but I’ve got a feelin’ in my gut.

4. I will STILL not be able to find a bottle of Pappy.

• Carl says:

I’ve often worried about the availablity of barrels. My gut tells me there will be a price increase as barrels become depleted.

• sam k says:

The rye boom will not hit its peak for another ten years, and there won;t be any more Pappy then, either!

I think there will be Pappy. But it won’t be from Stitzel-Weller or anywhere else. It will be all Buffalo Trace, and I think it will lose it’s cult factor. It will be more like the Colonel E. H. Talyor line from BT. That’s my guess.

Agree with you on the rye.

• acme says:

I wonder about that. Pappy is popular but it seems its popularity has little to do with what is in the bottle in terms of what juice comes from where. Most articles discuss its rarity and ubiquity on “best of” lists.

As an aside, barrel aged beers that mention that they have been aged in “Pappy” barrels means what exactly? The name Pappy has more cache than say, Buffalo Trace, Bernheim, or Stitzel-Weller. Or do they actually receive barrels that only mention Pappy Van Winkle?

I expect a significant increase in suppies of Pappy over time to meet demand ince the BT juice kicks in more. I’m sure the folks at BT were smart enough to distill “Pappy” juice when they formed the alliance with the Van WInkles, knowing that their supply would eventually run out.

• BourbonGuy says:

I guess the question is WHEN did they realize this? If they just realized this 5 years ago, we still have 10 years to wait. John’s comment that since there will not be from Stitzel-Weller, it will lose its cult factor is interesting. I wonder if supply increases, and it is all Buffalo Trace bourbon, the price will drop?

31. rodney furry says:

I predict that every bottle I open in the coming year at 45 will be accompanied by the same guarded, obviously nervous anticipation as that Christmas morning at 5, that first hardball at-bat at 9, that first bra clasp at 16, that first day of boot camp at 20, that first morning I knew I would taste combat at 27, that moment she appeared on the aisle at 32, and that moment she told me the thing I’ll take to my grave at 39…
    Ladies and gentlemen, here’s to the memories we are charged with carrying through to 2013 – the glories, fears, discoveries, failures and triumphs, all of them made all the more beautiful with every sip of this glorious gift – this eau de vie.

32. Blue Note says:

Well said Rodney. Let’s hope that those who have the power to determine the fate of our world have the same love of life as you so obviously do.

PS. You were a little slow getting your first shot at a bra clasp brother. Haha.

33. theBitterFig says:

More restaurants will start listing their whisky selection online, or at least on menu along with beer and wine lists.

At least, I seriously hope so.

• Morgan Steele says:

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t understand why so many places ignore this especially since it’s such an easy fix. Also, it would save me from hearing the staff list off Arbdeg, Mack Allen,and Glen Fick.

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year and post comment 100 on this thread.

I’m wishing for larger allocations and lower prices on every damn release! Heck, a guy can dream, can’t he?

35. Bernie says:

I’m predicting
    -there will continue to be no rhyme or reason for the difference in prices between stores for the same premium Whiskies (how can Corryvreckan cost $123 in one store and $83 in another, within 3 miles of each other?) and keeping a Whisky Database will save a decent chunk of change.
    -that avoiding sulfur notes will become harder as good casks become dearer
    -that there will be more experimentation with Bourbon (like Angel’s Envy)

36. DanO says:

I predict that due to allocations, I will continue to be unable to buy and drink, what I can only read about here.

37. Randy Perrelet says:

I predict that Scotch drinkers will continue to prefer sherry cask whisky, but will leave the sherry drinking to somebody else.

• Danny Maguire says:

I think you’re right about the sherry as far as drinking goes, but I’ve drank some lovely bourbon cask whiskies over the past 40 odd years.

• Randy Perrelet says:

Danny, you are absolutely correct. Bourbon cask whiskies are delicious. But with American consumption of bourbon, the availability of casks will never be a problem. Sherry consumption, on the other hand, has dropped about 50% since 1980. The availability of sherry casks has become a big problem. If you like sherry cask scotch, become part of the solution: buy a bottle sherry.

• Danny Maguire says:

There are already distillers who buy casks full of sherry, then pour the sherry away. That’s how bad the market is for sherry.

38. Jazz Lover says:

I predict U.S. sales will fall on high end products.

39. David says:

Curious about people’s thoughts here. On the subject of rising whisky costs and producers trying to make a buck, here’s a question — Johnnie Walker Blue. Is it really exceptional and worth the cost? Or is it a marketing gimmick – you know – “it must be good because it’s so expensive…join the exclusive club by buying THIS!”?

• Danny Maguire says:

Don’t know, but I’m not about to find out.

• Red_Arremer says:

Johnnie Blue is very nice. The quality of the old grain whisky really stands out. But there are plenty of more exciting, interesting, and fun whiskies to be had for way less $$.

40. Marc from Ann Arbor says:

For 2013, I predict that over half of the new subscriptions to Whisky Advocate will be by or for females!

• sam k says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right, Marc. I continue to be amazed at how many of my female acquaintances are becoming engaged by whiskey these days, and the attendance of women at WhiskyFest over the years has increased dramatically. All good!

41. Emily Jarvis says:

In South Africa, whisky will grow its strong position as the drink for those who have ‘made it’… An aspirational drink of choice for the up-and-coming hipster who lives and works in urban centres during the week and who returns to his township where he was born and raised over weekends to relax and to show the people ‘back home’ how successful he has become.

42. MaltExplorer says:

I predict I will finally subscribe for the Malt Advocate … sorry Whisky Advocate (I just still like the old name better) this year, and most probably not renew my Whisky Magazine subscription.
    If you would do 8 issues a year I would already be a subscriber. 3 months is such a long time to wait :)

43. Jason Beatty says:

Speaking of 2013… I was told by a reliable source that Stitzel-Weller will be distilling again. He also gave me permission to tell all.