Chuck Cowdery: The best kept secrets in bourbon

March 14th, 2013

Yes, I know. I’m overdue for a blog post. I’m just back from vacation and diving head first into putting together the next issue of Whisky Advocate magazine.

To keep you entertained in the interim, I’d like to draw your attention to a great blog post by Whisky Advocate contributor Chuck Cowdery. Good bourbon isn’t expensive, nor is it hard to find. I agree with every one of his recommendations. Have a look.

Nicely done, Chuck. It’s a valuable resource for anyone looking for a nice, versatile bourbon at a fair price.

11 Responses to “Chuck Cowdery: The best kept secrets in bourbon”

1. Lazer says:

I guess nobody told you how to keep a secret.

2. CBrown says:

That’s funny! I had checked in here earlier, assumed you must be away and went hunting for some new whisky news lower down on my list and hit Chuck with his picks…. and here we are full circle.

Lots of good ones to add to my list when either traveling or not wanting to spend a fortune on top shelf items in a bar.

3. Ben McNeil says:

Chuck’s last several posts have been amazing. Though he’s well-known in some circles, I think he’s one of the best kept secrets in bourbon.

• Lazer says:

I agree. He posts frequently without taking long vacations (I’m not looking at anyone), and he’s a good writer with good knowledge, experience, and insightful things to say. He does his homework without getting too geeky.

4. Louis says:

What’s even crazier is to compare the bourbons that Chuck considers a tad overpriced to popular single malt scotch of the same quality level. I’m not sure how much longer I can justify $50-60 for 12 year old malts, over bourbon that costs 1/2 to 2/3 the price. For now, I dollar cost average all of my drams, but not sure how long I’ll keep that up.

• Danny Maguire says:

Sounds like the price you pay is about the same as we pay in the uk, problem I have is that we’re asked to pay similar prices for nas bourbon, I’m just not prepaired to do that.

5. Guy says:

Chuck’s book, Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey , is excellent

6. Marc from Ann Arbor says:

John,

Welcome home! I think we (now) have a mutual friend at one of the southernmost nice cigar clubs! It is interesting to see the cigar companies now marketing their products just like whiskies companies do.

Cheers,
    Marc

7. Howard Yagerman says:

The best bourbon I have had is Rebel Reserve.For the price it is a major find.If you can ind Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old it is a terrific drink but it is scarce and it is very expensive.Stay with tge Rebel reserve.

8. Thanks to John for the recommendation and to everyone else for the kind words. I hope when you consulted the post you also read the comments, as many of the posters made equally good suggestions. As for not keeping the secret, it’s okay, because there’s plenty to go around. As Master Distiller Dave Backus said during the George Dickel shutdown a few years back, “if you drink it all, we’ll make more.” It’s that can-do attitude that has brought bourbon back to the top of the charts.