Four Bourbons To Buy This Fall

August 23rd, 2013

John HansellAll of these will be sold in the U.S. I’ve tried them all. These are all new and will be released over the next month or so. They are the best I’ve tasted this year (so far). In alphabetical order:

Elijah Craig Single Barrel 21 year old ($140)

My barrel sample (Barrel No. 42) tastes very close in flavor profile and quality to the Elijah Craig 20 year old single barrel (Barrel No. 3735) that was our “American Whiskey of the Year” in 2011. Those of you who were fortunate enough to get a bottle of that (sold only at Heaven Hill’s Bourbon Heritage Center) know what I’m talking about.

Four Roses “Limited Edition Small Batch” (2013 release) ($90-100)

Very close in personality and quality as last year’s 2012 limited edition release, our “American Whiskey of the Year” for 2012. Enough said!

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (2013 release) 12 year old ($55)

The best tasting (and best balanced) OFBB release in many years.

Parker’s Heritage Collection “Promise of Hope” 10 year old ($90)

A single barrel bottling, but with no barrel number identified. Reminds me somewhat of the roundness, great flavor profile, and drinkability of the PHC Golden Anniversary release. And it’s for a good cause. Heaven Hill will donate $20 of every bottle sold to the ALS Association’s Parker Beam Promise of Hope Fund. A bourbon that will make you feel good for many reasons.

10 Responses to “Four Bourbons To Buy This Fall”

If I were to add a fifth to this list of new bourbons available here in the U,S, it would probably be the Four Roses Limited Edition Single Barrel 2013 Edition.

2. Adam Glaser says:

I know so many people lament the difficulty of finding Van Winkles and BTAC bottlings – but for my money, Four Roses is one of the most dynamic, creative and accessible distilleries in the world today. All of their standard and LE bottlings are great – and the 10 different mash bill-yeast Private Selection bottlings are endlessly fascinating.

Along with Springbank, my favorite distillery out there today…

-A

3. Gary says:

Found the Elijah Craig barrel 42 at Julio’s in Westborough, MA. Bought a bottle to save for a special occasion.

4. Vince says:

I was able to pick up a few bottles of the OFBB, and one bottle of the Elijah Craig 21 year old (Barrel #5). I’m looking forward to trying them. I am anxiously awaiting the release of the Four Roses and Parkers. Both are always great! And I agree with Adam’s comments regarding Four Roses distillery!

5. rick reaver says:

Nothing on Stagg JR? Kind of shocked there but, I do not write the list oor reviews, but am llooking foorward to opening the bottle(s).

6. HeartSleeve says:

Tasted the current OFBB at lunch today – if the new release is anywhere as good as that was – WOW!!!

7. Eric Scism says:

I’ve been trying to find the OFBB around Nashville, and no luck thus far. I’ve got a few more spots to hit to see if they have it. I’ve heard so many people rave about it I really want to find some this year.

8. HeartSleeve says:

Eric, the new release is coming soon – Oct I think – maybe you will have better luck once the new release is out. It also pays to ask if your fav spirits merchant can order it or hold one for you.

Mary

9. matt says:

I’m surprised the EC21 made the list. I found it rather boring.

The OFBB is outstanding I opened mine as soon as it came in and its fantastic.

Of course I didn’t think the Stagg Jr was as horrible as everyone else did.

I guess thats why they make chocolate and vanilla.