Rye Chai [Cocktail Recipe]
January 14, 2019 –––––– Whisky Advocate
Created by Adil Yamin, beverage director at Heirloom Hospitality for Prime + Proper and Townhouse Restaurants in Detroit, this cocktail will look just as good as it tastes. “This creamy, silky drink starts off with aromas of dark chocolate atop a layer of cold whipped cream, followed by the boozy fall spices. The ingredients give it a complexity that is perfect for the winter,” Yamin says.
- 1½ oz. WhistlePig 10 year old rye (or other rye whiskey)
- ½ oz. Averna amaro
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 6 oz. brewed hot chai
- Angostura and Averna amaro whipped cream (recipe below)
- Garnish: cinnamon stick, lemon spiral, shaved dark chocolate
Add whiskey to a warm thermal cocktail mug. Add amaro and bitters, then fill cup with chai tea to 1 inch from the rim. Top with whipped cream and garnish with cinnamon stick, lemon spiral, and shaved chocolate.
How to Make Angostura and Averna Amaro Whipped Cream
- 8 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 1 oz. Averna amaro
- 1 oz. Angostura bitters
- 1 oz. simple syrup
- Shake all ingredients vigorously in a cocktail shaker or use a small immersion blender to whip into cream. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to six days. Re-whip before using if cream loses its form.
FROM THE WINTER 2017 ISSUE.