The Autumn Bond [Cocktail Recipe]
October 7, 2020 –––––– Whisky Advocate
Created by Jordan Valls, lead bartender at The Multnomah Whisky Library in Portland, Oregon, this cocktail is a bit like a drinkable apple pie. “Using two bonded products gives a backbone to keep the drink from being too sweet, while the amaro's super savory aspect adds the perfect mid-palate flavor,” Valls says.
- 1 oz. Rittenhouse bottled in bond straight rye (or other 100-proof rye)
- ½ oz. Laird’s bottled in bond straight apple brandy
- ½ oz. Nardini Bassano amaro
- 1 barspoon cinnamon syrup (recipe below)
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Garnish: Apple fan and grated cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir for 10 to 20 seconds until chilled. Strain over a big ice cube in an Old Fashioned tumbler. Garnish with apple fan and grated cinnamon.
- 4 cups sugar
- 1⅔ cups water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
Combine all ingredients in a pot over high heat. Heat until sugar is dissolved, then reduce heat and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and strain out cinnamon sticks. Keep refrigerated in a sealed container for up to six weeks.
FROM THE FALL 2019 ISSUE.